Sausage and biscuits is a hearty breakfast that can feed big families easily. It is easy to make and has a gravy that is addictive. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of sausages, in general, breakfast sausage is liked by almost everyone. It’s texture is much like ground turkey and hamburg, but has a very appetizing flavor. This breakfast casserole is the perfect choice for Easter brunch, holidays such as Mother’s Day or Father’s Day breakfasts, or any morning that you want something more than cereal.
Ultimate Breakfast Comfort Food
This satisfying breakfast is hearty and the ultimate breakfast comfort food. We all know this is not a dish that is going to be promoted by Weight Watchers, but does that really matter? Not if you eat it in moderation. You can’t survive off of rice cakes and fruit every day…okay, maybe you can, but you wouldn’t be happy – let’s just agree on that!
Sausage and biscuits consists of biscuits, sausages, then more biscuits! Every bite is loaded with some kind of pleasurable ingredient. No need to sift through the pan, you can’t go wrong with your serving.
Easy to Make
Not only is this dish delicious, it is very easy to make. And there are minimal ingredients needed to cook this family favorite. You will need sausage, biscuits, flour, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. That’s it! For a breakfast that packs so much flavor, it’s amazing that there are so little ingredients. You could add some melted butter to the top layer of biscuits, but it’s not necessary. You could opt for I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light spray and spray the tops of the biscuits to give them a golden hue.
What I really love about this recipe is that you can cook 2 different steps at the same time. For instance, as the 1st biscuit layer cooks, you can cook the sausage and gravy. Then, when the biscuits are done, you can add the sausage/gravy mixture to the pan, then top with the final layer of biscuits. And then as the entire meal cooks together, you can clean up and get ready to dig in!
Sausage & Biscuits
- 2 cans Flaky Biscuits 16 oz cans
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters and set aside.
- Spray cooking spray into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Layer half of the quarters in prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While biscuits are cooking, brown the sausage over a medium/high heat until cook through.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage with flour mixture and stir mixture until completely absorbed.
- Next, add in milk and stir to combine.
- Stir frequently until mixture comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer and stir until gravy has started to thicken, (about 5 mins).
- Pour gravy over your bottom layer of cooked biscuits.
- Layer the remaining uncooked, biscuit pieces over the gravy.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- If you would like, brush 1-2 Tablespoons of melted butter over the tops of the biscuits to give them an inviting shine.
- Let cool for a few minutes.