Broccoli Rabe Brown Rice combines your veggie and starch into one amazing side dish. If you can’t get your people to enjoy green veggies, try making them different varieties of veggies and saute them with garlic and oil. Then mix them with rice so that they aren’t overly concerned about what that “green stuff” is.
Broccoli rabe is a great side on it’s own, but it really helps spruce up plain brown rice when you mix them together. Brown rice is much better for you than white rice (or so the experts say), but it is pretty bland unless you add oil, butter, etc – you know, all the things that will then make the side BAD for you?! In order to keep the dish on the healthy side, I like to mix in sautéed vegetables.
While you are cooking your favorite main dish for dinner, you can have the rice and broccoli rabe cooking at the same time. With this side, you won’t have a million pots, pans, and bowls to clean up which makes this an A+ recipe in my book. Less is always more when it comes to cooking and cleaning. Wouldn’t you agree?
If you have brown rice (or any rice plain rice) leftover from a previous dinner, use that! Just heat it up in the microwave and then add the broccoli rabe to it. Re-using leftovers can save a ton of time. You just have to remember that you have them in your refrigerator. Or maybe that’s just me?
This side dish pairs well with almost any main course. Pictured above, I recently made broccoli rabe brown rice with honey garlic salmon. What a combination! It was fantastic. If you are looking for a dinner that is simple to make, check out my honey garlic salmon recipe.
Broccoli Rabe Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Add 1 cup of brown rice to a microwavable bowl
- Add 2 cups of water to brown rice
- Cover with paper towel
- Microwave on medium heat for 15 minutes
- Mix rice and check to see if it is cooked – might need additional 4-7 minutes
- Drizzle olive oil in pan and heat on medium heat for 1 minute
- Add garlic to pan and cook for 1 minute
- Place broccoli rabe in pan and cook for approx 5 -7 minutes
- Reduce heat to low
- Top with parmesan cheese and mix
- Remove from heat and chop broccoli rabe into 1.5 inch pieces
- Mix together rice and chopped broccoli rabe in the broccoli rabe pan
- Plate & Enjoy!